Become a card-carrying member
Our Barter Membership program is a great way to get involved with the SF Bicycle Coalition and earn a membership while you're at it! Instead of giving money, give time. Naturally, bartering earns you the full rights and privileges of membership.
How does it work?
If you volunteer for a minimum of ten hours in a three-month period, you earn a year's membership. You'll be able to choose from a wide variety of fun and rewarding volunteer opportunities! Most volunteer shifts are 3-4 hours, so it typically only takes 3-4 instances of volunteering to earn a membership. Take a look at our Volunteer Page to learn more and check out our online calendar of volunteering opportunities to find the right volunteer opportunity for you.
All right, I'm in. How can I get started?
We would love to put your time and talent to work making San Francisco a better place to bike and live. Contact Margaret to sign up for the Barter for Membership program today!
Barter Membership FAQ's:
- Can I renew my membership through the Barter Membership program? Both new and renewing members are welcome to participate in our Barter Membership program.
- What kinds of projects can I volunteer with for my Barter?
Many of our projects are open to volunteers who are not yet current members of the SF Bicycle Coalition, including: Volunteer Night, Phone Bank, Valet Bike Parking and more. Some of our projects (Winterfest, Tour de Fat, Bike to Work Day) do require that you be a current member in order to volunteer. If membership is a prerequisite, it will be stated on the sign-up form.
- When will I receive my membership card?After you have successfully completed 10 hours of volunteering in a three-month period, we will process your membership. You'll receive your membership card and kit in the next 7-10 business days.
- Can anyone volunteer as a Bicycle Ambassador?Only renewing members who have been through Bicycle Ambassador training are eligible to volunteer as a Bicycle Ambassador.
- How can I earn my membership faster?Earn double hours (each hour counts as two) when you volunteer with the SF Bicycle Coalition Phone Bank. It's fun, fruitful AND dinner is included!