Bike to Work Day 2014
The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to promote bicycling for everyday transportation. Our member-based grassroots organization is considered one of the largest, most active and effective advocacy groups in the country. For more than 40 years, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition has a proven track record of winning better bicycling improvements.
Bike to Work Day on Thursday, May 8, 2014 is San Francisco's largest city-wide bike event of the year and 2014 marks it's 20th year anniversary in the Bay Area! Tens of thousands of people will join the masses to hop on a bike and pedal to the office. The SF Bicycle Coalition hosts the most robust Bike to Work Day event in the Bay Area with 25 Energizer Stations, urban bike safety classes and workshops, parties, raffles and giveaways leading up to the event to celebrate biking in San Francisco.
The Bike to Work Day Logistics Intern will gain valuable skills vital for anyone looking to for a career in events. You will learn firsthand what it takes to organize one of the largest events in the City! We will challenge you with a fast-paced, quick-turnaround experience on a hard-working team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Planning and executing logistics for Bike to Work Day including 25 satellite "Energizer Stations"
- Planning and executing logistics for the 6,000 give-away Bag-Stuffing Party
- Securing in-kind donations for participant incentives using SF Bicycle Coalition relationships
- Coordinating delivery and pick-ups of Energizer Station supplies, donations and equipment
- Providing clear and concise logistical details to staff and volunteers
- Liaison with SF Bicycle Coalition Volunteer Department to schedule, train and lead committed volunteers
An Ideal Candidate will:
- Have some event planning, logistics or production experience
- Be highly organized, have excellent attention to detail, and able to meet deadlines
- Be a creative and motivated self-starter
- Be able to ride a bicycle, haul a bicycle trailer, and lift at least 25lbs
- Be computer-literate and Internet savvy, with direct experience in using MS Office (Excel, Word), Google apps (Docs, Calendar, Gmail).
Minimum required schedule for this position is Monday through Friday:
- January 20 - March 28: (8) flexible hours a week
- April 1 - May 2: (16) flexible hours a week
- May 8 & 9: (16) required hours
- May 12-23: (8) flexible hours a week for followup work
April 30 (Bag Stuffing Party); May 7th (Setup); May 8th (Bike to Work Day)
- The position includes a $500 stipend, and we are happy to work with any academic requirements the intern may have to help them earn college credit for their efforts
- 1 year’s free membership to the SF Bicycle Coalition
- First-hand experience in one of the country’s oldest and largest bicycle advocacy organizations
- Ongoing professional development opportunities
- A behind-the-scenes view of a bustling nonprofit organization
- Indoor bike parking provided
Please email a tailored cover letter and resume to Bonnie Walton firstname.lastname@example.org