DIY Commuter Convoys
Celebrate Gas-Free Fridays with your own Commuter Convoy!
What's a Commuter Convoy? It's a bunch of bicyclists leaving a given place at a given time and riding in the same direction. It's a friendly group of cyclists helping less-experienced cyclists feel comfortable riding across town together.
For Gas-Free Fridays, we're calling on good-wheeled people to lead Commuter Convoys from all corners of town on Gas-Free Friday mornings of July 9, 16, 23 and 30. There's no reason you can't run a bike bus of your own, from anywhere in the city, just follow this simple recipe for a bike bus of your own making:
- Pick a place for your Commuter Convoy depot (e.g., Folsom at Precita, California at 21st Ave, etc.). Coffee shops make good meet-up spots, but any spot where people with bikes will be comfortable gathering will do fine.
- Download the Commuter Convoy sign and print some out.
- Post signs at/near your Commuter Convoy depot.
- Let us know where your bike bus depot is and we'll list it on our Gas-Free Friday Map page.
- On the morning of Gas-Free Friday, show up at your bike bus depot by 7:45 and push off around 8:00 or so. Lead a ride downtown with whoever else shows up on a bike. Follow whatever route you like, dropping folks off at the Gas-Free Friday Energizer Station.
- Have fun!
Good luck, thanks for leading, and be sure to send Kate any interesting / heartwarming / cute stories . . .