Communications InternshipsThe San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to promote bicycling for everyday transportation. Our member-based grassroots organization is one of the largest and most effective advocacy groups in the country. For more than 40 years, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition has a proven track record of winning better bicycling improvements.
The Communications Intern will gain valuable experience in the fast-paced world of communications at a high-profile organization. Communications Interns will work on array of writing, editing and digital communications projects. In 2014, the SF Bicycle Coalition will be undergoing a website redesign; Communications Interns will play a key role in content creation and editing for the new site, gaining experience in best-practices for digital communications.
This internship offers a flexible schedule with a 10-12 hour-a-week (for 12 weeks) minimum commitment. The position is not paid, but we are happy to work with universities to offer course credit for internship.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Editing press releases and blogs
- Writing and updating social media
- Copyediting new sfbike.org web content
- Editing our weekly newsletter
- Writing profiles of members and bicycle commuters
- Blogging about key bicycle updates
- Updating and editing webpages
- Opportunity to write feature articles for major publications
- Excellent writing skills
- Clips (media or academic) which showcase strong writing skills
- Experience in copyediting and proofreading
- Wordpress or HTML experience to aid in digital communications
- Interest in bicycling, urban planning or transportation
- Some Adobe Creative Suite exprience
- One year free membership to the SF Bicycle Coalition
- Writing clips for portfolio
- First-hand experience in one of the country’s oldest and largest bicycle advocacy organizations
- Ongoing professional development opportunities
- Behind-the-scenes view of a bustling nonprofit organization
To apply, please send an email to Kristin Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your resume, two writing samples, and a cover letter explaining why you would be a good fit for the Communications internship.
Women and people of color strongly encouraged to apply. You need not be a San Francisco Bicycle Coalition member to apply.