Communications InternshipsThe San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to promote bicycling for everyday transportation. Our 12,000-member grassroots organization is considered one of the largest, most active and effective advocacy groups in the country. For more than 40 years, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition has a proven track record of winning better bicycling improvements. In the last five years, our advocacy has helped increase the number of people biking in San Francisco by 71% and help San Francisco become a leading bicycling city. We are working to Connect the City with a complete system of crosstown bikeways designed so that anyone, from an 8-year old child to an 80-year old grandmother will feel safe and comfortable crossing the city on a bicycle.
We are hiring for a Communications Intern and a Multimedia Communications Intern.
The Communications Interns are part of the team that help shape and style the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition's membership, campaign and advocacy materials. Interns are involved with editing, writing and proofreading press releases, emails and stories, as well as helping to publicize our events and updating our website.
The Multimedia Communications Intern will work on all of our digital communications, from coding the Biker Bulletin, to updating our website, to writing original social media, website, and blog content.
This internship offers a flexible schedule with an 10-12 hour-a-week (for 12 weeks) minimum commitment. The position is not paid, but we are happy to work with any academic requirements the intern may have, to help them earn course credit for their efforts.
Skills & Knowledge to be Gained
- Specific experience working with one of the most cutting edge transportation advocacy groups in the country
- Opportunity to build your portfolio by helping create great projects and writing samples
- Academic credit, by working with your academic institution's internship program
- Learning and expanding html coding skills
- Building print and digital clips
- Track record of working well on team projects
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Cheerful, friendly, upbeat outlook
- Nonjudgemental, welcoming attitude
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator and Macintosh computers
- Familiarity with biking in San Francisco
- Commitment to building a sustainable San Francisco
- 1 year’s free membership to the SF Bicycle Coalition
- First-hand experience in one of the country’s oldest and largest bicycle advocacy organizations
- ongoing professional development opportunities
- a behind-the-scenes view of a bustling nonprofit organization
To apply, please send an email to Kristin Smith at email@example.com. Please include your resume, two writing samples, and a cover letter explaining why you would be a good fit for the Communications or Multimedia Communications internship.
or mail to:
San Francisco Bicycle Coalition ATTN: Communications Internship
833 Market Street, 10th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94103
Women and people of color strongly encouraged to apply. You need not be an San Francisco Bicycle Coalition member to apply.