The Membership Intern will gain firsthand knowledge about the backbone of any grassroots organization-- our members-- by organizing people around transportation issues in their backyard while building San Francisco's bicycle community. You will gain hands-on professional development and valuable experience in communications, outreach, and event planning for a thriving nonprofit organization. We will challenge you with a fast-paced, quick-turnaround experience on a hard-working team.
This is a great opportunity for someone with a strong interest in membership management and organizing who wants to get a better understanding of how to work with diverse member populations, manage a broad range of projects, and how to best leverage membership programs to support and grow a nonprofit. This internship will address all aspects of membership management, from recruitment to appreciation and retention, as well as program evaluation. You will have the benefit of learning critical membership service and advocacy skills from experienced staff. Plus, the SF Bicycle Coalition community is a fun, energetic and inspiring group of people.
This unpaid internship offers a flexible schedule with a 10-15 hour/week minimum commitment. This is chiefly a Monday through Friday internship, with occasional evenings and weekends. Interns are expected to make a three-month commitment, which may be extended.
This is great way to build your resume & get on-hand experience in the membership & development field!
Responsibilities & Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assist in the recruiting SF Bicycle Coalition members at a variety events
- Provide impeccable membership services for our member base, including data entry, payment processing and member emails
- Represent the SF Bicycle Coalition Bicycle at events, fairs, trainings as needed
- Organize and manage mass mailings
- Assist in management of our Salesforce database
- Write and edit social media, newsletter and website marketing for volunteer opportunities
An Ideal Candidate Will:
- Have interest and/or experience in membership recruitment and management
- Possess strong organizational/multi-tasking skills, attention to detail and have an ability to meet deadlines on time
- Be a self-starter able to take initiative on individual projects
- Have excellent and persuasive written and oral communication skills
- Be a strong writer, researcher and editor; familiar with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Salesforce
- Be outgoing, dynamic, and flexible
- Be familiar with biking in San Francisco
- 1 year’s free membership to the SF Bicycle Coalition
- First-hand experience in one of the country’s oldest and largest bicycle advocacy organizations
- Ongoing professional development opportunities
- A behind-the-scenes view of a bustling nonprofit organization
This unpaid internship offers a flexible schedule with an eight-hour-a-week minimum commitment. While the position is not paid, we are happy to work with any academic requirements the intern may have, to help them earn course credit for their efforts.To Apply Please send a tailored cover letter and resume addressed to Anna Gore. No calls please. firstname.lastname@example.org 415/431-2468 fax or mail to: SF Bicycle Coalition - ATTN: Membership Management Internship 833 Market St 10th Floor San Francisco, CA 94103