Event & Outreach Intern (Family Biking)
The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is a member-based non-profit organization that works to promote bicycling for everyday transportation and is an active member of the San Francisco Safe Routes to School Partnership.
Safe Routes to School is an international movement to make it safe and fun for more children to walk, bike or take transit to school. As a part of the San Francisco Safe Routes to School Program, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is working to increase the number of families that walk and bike to school through education and encouragement activities in 15 public elementary schools. The SF Bicycle Coalition also reaches additional schools with trainings, classes and events like “Bike to School Day” each spring.
San Francisco Bicycle Coalition produces Family Biking classes and as a partner in the San Francisco Safe Routes to School Program, promotes transportation alternatives at 15 public elementary schools, through education, training and encouragement activities for children and parents. The SF Bicycle Coalition expands this effort citywide for “Bike to School Day” each spring.
The SF Bicycle Coalition is seeking Event & Communications interns to promote Family Biking events and education, especially education and communications campaigns leading up to Bike to School Week in April 2014.
The Event & Communications Intern will learn firsthand about marketing and organizing encouragement campaigns leading up to a citywide event; will help develop social media campaigns; will use our database to input and track contacts and campaign progress. The Intern will gain hands-on professional development and valuable experience in communications, outreach, and event planning for a thriving nonprofit organization. We will challenge you with a fast-paced, quick-turnaround experience on a hard-working team. The Intern will support classes and trainings where students and families learn to bike safely, including in larger groups.
This is a great opportunity for someone with a strong interest in online and on-the-ground community outreach and event planning, who wants to get a better understanding grassroots work with bicyclists and with families. You will benefit from developing these skills with experienced staff.
This unpaid internship offers a flexible schedule, 10-20 hour/week minimum commitment. Early morning and some weekend availability is helpful. You will work with specific school sites and at our office in downtown San Francisco. Interns are expected to make a three-month commitment, which may be extended by mutual agreemtn.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Attend SF Bicycle Coalition Ambassador and Safe Routes related trainings
- Write and edit social media, newsletter and website marketing to promote event participation
- Help recruit and engage volunteers and families to walk and bike campaigns
- Produce short bike champion profiles to be posted online and other communications products highlighting components of the program
- Support volunteer efforts and encouragement strategies such as raffle, event prizes and celebrations of walk/bike programs and Bike to School Week
- Follow up at school sites through various channels and with extensive use of our Salesforce database
An Ideal Candidate will possess
- Bilingual Spanish/English or Chinese/English capacity a big plus
- Interest and/or experience in community outreach and event organizing
- Strong organizational/multi-tasking skills, timeliness, and attention to detail
- Ability to self-start and take initiative on individual projects
- Strong writing, researching and editorial skills; familiar with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and online communications
- Outgoing, dynamic, and flexible personality
- Familiarity with biking in San Francisco
- One year’s free membership to the SF Bicycle Coalition
- First-hand experience in one of the country’s oldest and largest bicycle advocacy organizations
- Ongoing professional development opportunities
- A behind-the-scenes view of a bustling nonprofit organization
- Indoor bike parking provided
Available immediately: open until filled. We will be interviewing as we receive resumes. Please send a tailored cover letter, writing samples and resume to email@example.com. or mail to: SFBC - ATTN: Safe Routes Outreach& Communications Internship 833 Market St 10th Floor San Francisco, CA 94103