The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is a 12,000-member non-profit organization that works to promote bicycling for everyday transportation and is an active member of the San Francisco Safe Routes to School Partnership.
Safe Routes to School is an international movement to make it safe and fun for more children to walk, bike or take transit to school. As a part of the San Francisco Safe Routes to School Program, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is working to increase the number of families that walk and bike to school through education and encouragement activities in 15 public elementary schools. The SF Bicycle Coalition also reaches additional schools with trainings, classes and events like “Bike to School Day” each spring.
The SF Bicycle Coalition Safe Routes to School team is seeking outreach interns to help with parent outreach, education and campaign support with the goal of increasing walking and biking and decreasing solo driving at our 15 program sites.
The Outreach Intern will learn firsthand about organizing encouragement campaigns and will use our database to input and track contacts and campaign progress at each school. The Outreach Intern will also have the opportunity to support our educational trainings and classes to help student and families walk and bike safely in larger groups.
The Outreach Intern will gain hands-on professional development and valuable experience in communications, outreach, and event planning for a thriving nonprofit organization. We will challenge you with a fast-paced, quick-turnaround experience on a hard-working team.
This is a great opportunity for someone with a strong interest in community outreach and organizing who wants to get a better understanding of how to affect change on a grassroots level. You will have the benefit of learning critical grassroots organizing and advocacy skills from experienced staff.
This unpaid internship offers a flexible schedule with a 10-20 hours a week minimum commitment. Early morning and weekend availability is helpful and you will work at school sites across the city as well as our office located in downtown San Francisco. Interns are expected to make a three-month commitment, which may be extended.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Help support, promote and implement various parent led campaigns at up to 15 program sites
- Help support, promote and implement various SF Bicycle Coalition led campaigns/events such as Annual Family Day event in Golden Gate Park on 9/29/12 and Bike to School Day
- Attend SF Bicycle Coalition Ambassador and Safe Routes related trainings
- Support and lead outreach events at schools to recruit interested families into campaigns
- Ongoing follow up at individual school sites and with contacts with extensive use of our Salesforce database
- Write and edit social media, newsletter and website marketing for volunteer opportunities
- Produce short interview pieces to be posted online and produce short videos highlighting components of the program
An Ideal Candidate will possess
- Interest and/or experience in community outreach and organizing
- Strong organizational/multi-tasking skills, attention to detail and have an ability to meet deadlines on time
- Ability to self-start and take initiative on individual projects
- Excellent and persuasive written and oral communication skills
- Strong writing, researching and editorial skills; familiar with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and the Internet
- Outgoing, dynamic, and flexible personality
- Familiarity with biking in San Francisco
- Ability to punctually travel to and arrive at variety of school sites as scheduled
- Experience with video editing and production
- This is an unpaid internship
- Indoor bike parking provided
Rolling deadline - we will be interviewing as we receive resumes. Please send a tailored cover letter, writing samples and resume. No calls please.
jason AT sfbike DOT org
or mail to:
SFBC - ATTN: Safe Routes Outreach Internship
833 Market St 10th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94103