The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is looking for an experienced, savvy communications professional to advance our work promoting the bicycle for everyday transportation. The Communications Director will develop an overall communications strategy to support our efforts as outlined in our Strategic Plan goals while maintaining and strengthening the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition brand. This position is expected to be highly strategic, balancing PR, media and brand management initiatives in a fast-paced environment. Qualified candidates will have extensive experience leading successful communications strategies for a variety of dynamic teams.
Job responsibilities include:
- Developing and maintaining a comprehensive communications plan that proactively advances specific campaign goals and overall organizational goals.
- Working with staff to develop and hone messages.
- Crafting and executing proactive media outreach across all platforms, including traditional, new media and social media, on issues and programs to advance our goals.
- Executing rapid response for breaking news stories.
- Managing the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition brand.
- Overseeing creation and distribution of the organization’s weekly email bulletin to 22,000 subscribers.
- Producing or directing the production of organizational materials, such as the printed newsletter, Annual Report, event invitations, and program fliers.
- Overseeing the organization’s website.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with bloggers, television bookers, print reporters, columnists and editorial staff.
- Organizing compelling news conferences and media events.
- Creating and maintaining excellent systems for tracking and reporting media placement and contacts.
- Working with SF Bicycle Coalition staff to set communications goals, train in communications skills, and track and report on success.
- Working with all parts of the organization, including the Program, Membership and Development teams.
The successful candidate will bring the following skills and attributes to the position:
- Highly strategic thinker, with a strong self-starter attitude.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills, including attention to detail.
- Strong track record working with new and traditional media.
- Experience and competency in brand management.
- Conversant and able to edit in Adobe Creative Suite, HTML, and web-based tools.
- Ability to work quickly and cooperatively under pressure.
- Energetic outlook and commitment to our mission.
- Strong track record in project management.
- Experience managing others, such as volunteers, interns, and graphic design contractors.
Candidates for this position should have five or more years of relevant professional experience. Experience working in non-English media and overall communications a bonus. The position will report to the SF Bicycle Coalition’s Executive Director and work closely with a talented team of staff, interns, and volunteers.
Salary & Benefits
Salary for this position is commensurate with the successful candidate’s relevant professional experience. We offer a competitive benefits package and the opportunity to work in a dynamic environment for a successful and well-respected nonprofit organization.
Interested and qualified candidates should send a compelling cover letter and resume to Leah Shahum at email@example.com. Please include “Communications Director candidate, YOUR NAME” in the subject line, and mention where you saw the job advertised. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. People of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply.