Operations Assistant (three-quarter-time)
The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to promote bicycling for everyday transportation. Our 12,000-member grassroots organization is considered one of the most active and effective advocacy groups in the city.
The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition’s work during the past decade has helped to double the number of people biking in San Francisco. We are working to connect the city with a complete system of crosstown bikeways designed so that anyone, from an 8-year old child to an 80-year old grandmother, can feel safe and comfortable crossing the city on a bicycle.
As our organization grows, we are expanding our operations capacity by adding a new position of Operations Assistant. This 30-hour-per-week staff member will report to the SF Bicycle Coalition’s Operations Director and work closely with a team of staff, Board members, interns, and volunteers. Areas of responsibility include bookkeeping, human resources, technical support, and office management.
Responsibilities of the Operations Assistant include:
- Accounts Payable: Enter and code incoming bills and overhead costs. Write checks and make electronic payments. Enter credit card and cash expenses. Maintain detailed records of all payments and ensure timely and accurate payment of all bills.
- Accounts Receivable: Process cash, check, and credit card receipts. Follow up on open invoices in order to maintain low receivable balances. Enter payments and make deposits.
- Records and reports: Maintain accounting files and archives. Support staff in preparing timely and accurate monthly financial reports to staff and board of directors.
- Month-end functions: Reconcile all bank accounts and run monthly close-out reports. Make all necessary journal entries.
- Annual reporting: Assist Operations Director in annual budget preparation and annual tax preparation. Document internal procedures in preparation for financial audit.
- Contract administration: Work with Program and Membership staff to plan and execute contracts.
- Manage credit card merchant accounts and hardware.
- Human resources: Orient new employees and interns to the organization.
- Human resources: Manage recurring payroll for full-time and part-time employees as well as contractors. Manage vacation balances, sick leave, and benefits for employees.
- IT: Provide technical support to staff, interns, and volunteers on use of office equipment, computers, and web-based services. Along with Operations Director, support the organization’s use of the Salesforce database.
- Purchasing: Procure office supplies, stationary, and items needed for events.
- Facilities: Interface with building management and insurance broker for the SFBC’s facilities and coverage needs, respectively.
- Have at least 3 years of experience in a office management, administrative, bookkeeping, and/or technical support environment.
- Be extremely well-organized. Maintain several projects of equal priority on varying timelines at once and sustain productivity under pressure.
- Be punctual, reliable, and accountable. Must be able to juggle multiple requests with good grace and prioritize tasks and requests to make best use of time.
- Have attention to accuracy and standardization in individual tasks while also having the ability to grasp the context of and implications for policy, membership, and fundraising goals of the organization.
- Have knowledge and understanding of generally accepted accounting principles.
- Have experience in non-profit accounting, including functional allocation of expenses. (Previous experience working for a nonprofit preferred.)
- Have 2+ years bookkeeping experience using QuickBooks or similar accounting software.
- Be computer-literate and have Internet savvy and the ability to pick up software systems quickly. Have extensive experience in using Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word, mail merge, Salesforce, Basecamp, Google Docs, Google Calendar, and Macintosh and Windows computers.
- Has the ability to move from place to place; use a computer terminal and telephone; able to lift and carry up to 25 pounds short distances; can bend twist, reach and grasp.
- Troubleshoot network, hardware, software, web-based service issues calmly and confidently.
- Have experience training end users on and documenting technical and financial procedures. Be able to present technical and financial concepts to a diverse pool of staff, interns, and volunteers.
- Be able to help a fast-paced, open, team-oriented office build better, scalable business practices.
People of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply. Pay is commensurate with experience. Please submit your resume and a letter of interest to Frank Chan, SFBC Operations Director, via email to Frank with Operations Assistant in the Subject: line before Friday, May 6th. No phone calls, please.