Family and Schools Program Manager
The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is looking for a seasoned organizer to work with parents, children, youth and school staff in San Francisco schools and beyond to increase the number of families biking and walking to school. Candidates must be bilingual in a Chinese language and/or Spanish and be proficient in culturally sensitive outreach. If you are passionate about bicycling and walking, and passionate about increasing the number of families biking and walking, this is your chance to help improve the lives of huge numbers of San Franciscans.
- Hours: Full-time position. Hours may be flexible. Position will entail some work on weeknights and weekends. This position is contingent on contract funding.
- Reports to: Deputy Director
You will work with all parts of the organization, and the San Francisco Safe Routes to School partnership, to engage and involve parents, children, teachers and school administrators with a goal of increasing the number of families and youth biking and walking in San Francisco. This will mean identifying barriers and organizing local encouragement campaigns that effectively engage parents of a highly diverse array of backgrounds. You should be comfortable with street-level organizing as well as media, classroom instruction and grasstops outreach. Responsibilities may include, but will not be limited to:
- Executing the deliverables and development of our organizationís components of the San Francisco Safe Routes to School program, including organizing and growing walking school buses and bike trains, parent organizing and other ongoing and large events that lead to more walking and biking in participating schools.
- Working directly with parents, teachers, school administrators to develop and implement locally-appropriate campaigns and projects that significantly increase walking, biking and carpooling at those schools and that develop a sustainable culture of walking and biking at the school.
- Representing the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition in the San Francisco Safe Routes to School partnership. This includes collaboration with external colleagues to implement and continuously improve the program.
- Collaborating with our Events Manager to organize annual Bike to School Week.
- Organizing and/or lead walking and biking trainings and events for families and youth of many backgrounds.
- Helping to identify and secure additional opportunities and resources to encourage more family biking.
- Integrating school champions and families with infrastructure projects that impact their school.
- Further developing the San Francisco Bicycle Coalitionís family biking program offerings, to reach more families, more effectively.
- Handling general assistance to members with family-oriented questions and other inquiries.
- Completing all contract administration related to the program.
- Deep commitment to the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition mission.
- Applicants must speak a Chinese language and/or Spanish.
- At least two years of experience as an organizer, with preference to experience organizing youth and/or families.
- Strong knowledge of/experience working in a school system, with preference to experience working specifically within the SFUSD.
- Strong interpersonal and relational skills.
- Experience working in a coalition.
- Familiar with walking and biking education curriculum for parents and children.
- Ability to take initiative and lead advocacy efforts within the organization.
- Demonstrated track record of successful project planning, management, base-building and strategy implementation.
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team.
- Excellent communicator.
- Experience sourcing and managing a diverse cohort of interns and volunteers.
- Desire and ability to implement systems that will allow your work to scale quickly and significantly to be able to reach more people.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is to be determined, depending upon experience. Full-time, exempt position with a package of benefits.
How to Apply
Send a compelling cover letter and resume to Kit Hodge. Please include "Family and Schools Program Manager Candidate, YOUR NAME" in the subject line, and be sure to mention where you saw the job advertised. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. People of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation.