Welcome to our Bike Spring Issue!
In this special edition of the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition's (SFBC) Tube Times we invite you to join us in celebrating the joy of bicycling.
In the following pages you can find out about hundreds of bike events this Spring, including Bike to Work Day, fun one-day bike trips out of the city, secret bike routes through the city, the latest local bike advocacy news as well as reports from around the country, tips for safe and confident urban cycling, and more.
We are excited to reach beyond our usual audience this month by distributing 40,000 copies of our newsletter far and wide. Likely, many of you reading this are new to the SFBC community and wondering what we're all about.
The SFBC is a grassroots, membership-based group working to promote bicycling for everyday transportation (see sfbike.org). Our member-led successes include winning dozens of miles of new bike lanes around the city, including Valencia, Market, Howard, San Jose, Alemany, Fell, Arguello, and many more. We are successfully pushing the city to add more bike parking, better access to transit, as well as fixing our pot-holed roads and establishing fairer policies for cyclists. Thanks to the SFBC's advocacy, we beat back a proposed $1 toll on cyclists and pedestrians on the Golden Gate Bridge, and now we are turning our work toward winning a bike/pedestrian pathway on the entire Bay Bridge.
The 6,100 members of the SFBC are as diverse as San Francisco itself, but we all share the belief that our city can and should be better for bicycling. And we understand that a city that is better for bicycling is better for everyone. If you agree, we hope you'll join the SFBC and get involved to make it so.
Happy Bike Spring!
- Take a Ride! Ben's not-so-secret City rides by Ben Caldwell
- Importance of post-"door" medical treatment by David Carroll
- Carfree Living in SOMA by Jim Frank
- Bikes and Bus Racks by Suze Gardner
- Heavy Thoughts: What makes a safe bike for commuting by Howell Jenkins
- Biking vs. taking MUNI by Dan Nazarian
- Pedaling to Prevent Pollution by Ed Pike
- Easy weekend getaways by bike: Santa Rosa by Falk Schützenmeister and Cynthia Powell
- Cycling Without Back Pain by Scott Swanson