BART Board, District 9
The SF Bicycle Coalition may make endorsements for candidates for the BART Board of Directors, DIstrict 7 race. Elections will be held on Tuesday, November 6, 2012.
BART Board of Directors District 9 covers the central parts of San Francisco, from Nob Hill to Balboa Park, and Potrero Hill to the Inner Sunset.
All candidates received the same three questions and had the opportunity to respond. Incumbents marked with an asterisk (*)
Summary of Each Candidate's Answers
|End the Commute Time Blackout?
|Increase Funding for Bike Parking
If elected, what would you do to encourage more people to integrate bicycling and BART for their regional transportation? [75 words]
Is BART better than it was four years ago? No. There are no extensions. Transfers are no easier. Seats are still grimy. It's time for change. For cyclists, if elected, I will support: reduced seating near doors for safe access all day; bike share stations at all BART stations; bike-friendly development in underutilized areas around stations; building on the BART Bicycle Plan. With new perspectives on the BART Board we can build a better BART.
- Partner with SFBC and others to develop a BART bike patron policy.
- Collaborate with logical bicycle partners to promote the message.
- Conduct a local press conference through a media press release.
- Meet with key cyclist groups and articulate the message.
- Develop a BART brochure for general distribution.
- Promote a “R U Biking With BART 2day” slogan.
- Word of mouth and social media.
- Post on the BART website.
- Allow bicycles on BART at all times.
- reconfigure all BART cars to provide bike space.
- continue adding secure bicycle parking until it is available systemwide on demand.
- upgrade elevators so they are roomier, centrally located in stations, and glass-walled for safety.
- continue advocating to allow bikes on escalators.
- continue improving bicycle access to BART stations
- expand bicycle paths along BART rights-of-way.
Current members may vote in all of the races, regardless of where they live.
Ready to cast your vote for endorsement?