As part of the Bike to Work Day City Hall press conference today, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition and Mayor Edwin Lee awarded the first-ever Bicycle-Friendly Business Awards. The awards recognize San Francisco companies large and small are making it easy for their employees to bike to work, and in doing so, attracting high-quality employees.
The 2012 awards were chosen based on nominations from SFBC members and members of the general public. Semi-finalists were asked to submit photos in support of their nominations.
The 2012 Bicycle Friendly Business Award winners (in alphabetical order) are:
Atlassian, Inc. – Outstanding bike commuter education and encouragement programs
- in addition to providing a bicycle parking room for employees, and planning bicycle outings for employees, Atlassian also offers bikes for employees to check out for daytime errands, and matches veteran bike commuters with employees looking to get started to help show them plan safe routes
AirBnB - Free in-house bike tune-ups for employees
- in addition to providing bicycle parking in the office and showers and lockers for employees to change after their ride, AirBnB provides a visiting mechanic to give bike tune-ups in office, they estimate that 50% of their employees arrive by bike
Veritable Vegetable - Outstanding warehouse or garage bicycle parking
- Vertiable Vegetable provides ample bike parking in their garage and other encouragement programs which has led to a very high percentage of employees bicycling to work (estimated at 30%). This company also helped advocate for a new, protected bike lane on Cesar Chavez Street to make their employees commutes safer.
Rackspace – Outstanding in-house bike repair station
- in addition to providing bicycle parking in the office and showers and lockers for employees to change after their ride, Rackspace offers a full in-house bike repair shop, plans bicycle outings for employees and offers, bike partnerships & discounts
Levi’s – Outstanding commitment to the San Francisco bicycling community
- in addition to providing a bicycle parking room for employees office and showers and lockers for employees to change after their ride, Levi’s is also offering commuting classes for it’s employees. Further, Levi’s is producing a product line devoted to bicycle commuters and this year 50 Levi Strauss & Co. employees volunteered with YBike on the company’s annual Community Day today, assembling 35 bikes in the lobby of the company’s SF HQ for low-income children in San Francisco.
Zynga – Outstanding in-office bicycle parking
- Zynga has a high-quality well-designed bike parking area that makes bicycling a fun and attractive feature in their offices. They’ve also declared May “Zynga Loves Bikes” month and are offering a spectrum of classes for their employees from bike commuting basics to bike maintenance skills for more experienced riders.
Advent Software Inc.; David Baker + Partners; Voce Communications and
These companies provide excellent examples for smaller and more space-constrained offices.
More photos of how these and other San Francisco companies are encouraging bicycle commuting are available on our Flickr page: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjzekPFJ.