How long have you been walking/biking to school?
We try and walk to school 2-3 times a week and have been doing so on and off since we started at Sunnyside almost 3 years ago.
Why did you start?
The school is pretty close – just down the hill. It’s a fun walk and great exercise on the way home up the hill!
What’s one fun story from your walking/biking to school?
We speed down the hill on scooters, bikes and running! Downhill all of the way, it’s hard to go slow.
Tell us about the Walk and Roll Wednesdays Program at Sunnyside. What are Walk and Roll Wednesdays?
Walk and Roll Wednesday is a fun program designed to educate all of us about the environment and the things we can do in our daily lives to help make our planet better!
All you need to do is to participate on every Wednesday of the month starting December 7th, 2011 and ended on May 2th, 2012. Take part in one of the activities below and receive
a stamp for your personal passport. At the end of the program in May – there will be lots of prizes for all!
You can participate every Wednesday by:
1. Walking, biking or scooter to school.
2. Taking the bus to school.
3. Composting your food at school.
4. Any earth friendly activity at home or in your community.
What are the prizes for Rock and Roll Wednesdays?
Prizes for this program ROCK! Everyone gets a prize just for participating!
1st Prize is an Electra Super 72 kids’ cruiser & helmet
2nd Prize is a Razor Ultra Pro Lo Kick scooter and helmet
3rd Prize is a cool skateboard and helmet
50 Runner-Up Prizes – Sunnyside Tote Bags containing cool stuff!
How do I get a stamp for my passport?
1. If you walk, come into the foyer of the school Wednesday morning right away for a stamp.
2. If you take the bus, get a transfer from the bus driver and turn it in for a stamp.
3. Compost and you will be given a token to exchange for a stamp.
4. Write a sentence or two about what earth friendly activity you did, have your parents sign the paper and exchange it for a stamp or go to Cooltheearth.org and download an activity coupon.
How Can I get a prize?
1. Everyone gets a prize for participating!
2. Collect 24 stamps & enter to win one of the top 3 prizes
3. Collect 12 stamps or more enter to win one of 50 prizes
What advice would you give to other parents interested in walking/biking to school?
Give yourself some time and schedule it a few times a week if you can. If you are unable, also check in with other families. Carpooling or walking/rolling with other families is a great way to get to school without so many cars.