The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to promote bicycling for everyday transportation. Our member-based grassroots organization is considered one of the largest, most active and effective advocacy groups in the country. For more than 40 years, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition has a proven track record of winning better bicycling improvements.
The SF Bicycle Coalition has been working with community groups around San Francisco to organize Community Bike Builds (called Convivios in Spanish) and together providing donated bikes to neighborhood residents. Our Community Bike Builds are a great model of a cooperative, community-driven collaboration. We reclaim unclaimed and abandoned bikes from the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA), Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART), the San Francisco Police Department (SFPD) and other agencies, which are then repaired with the help of our volunteers. Neighborhood residents sign up with our partner organizations in advance to participate and receive a bike. They begin by spending a few hours learning how to repair and care for their new bike, complete a bike education class, and leave with a new, affordable, healthy and fun way to get around town!
The Community Bike Builds Intern will have an inside view of the SF Bicycle Coalition, a vibrant, growing nonprofit advocacy organization, and gain first-hand experience in community organizing and leadership development. This internship will focus on logistical aspects of the Community Bike Builds program.
You’ll learn skills in:
- Logistics management
- Outreach and community-building
- Grant reporting
- Social media content creation
Responsibilities and duties include (but are not limited to):
- Track incoming/outgoing stock of bicycles, parts, and accessories
- Coordinate on-site logistics at Community Bike Builds across San Francisco
- Work with Membership team to create follow-up engagement opportunities
- Assist the Program Coordinator with required grant reporting
Required skills or abilities:
- A positive attitude
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Highly organized self-starter with the ability to work independently
- Ability to get around the city to attend meetings and/or perform outreach
- Comfortable riding a bicycle in an urban environment
- Passion for making San Francisco a better city for living and biking
Desired skills or abilities:
- Fluency in Spanish, Mandarin or Cantonese
- Experience with spreadsheet management
Required dates for this internship include:
- Intern orientation: Date TBD
- One year’s free membership to the SF Bicycle Coalition
- Firsthand experience in one of the country’s oldest and largest bicycle advocacy organizations
- A behind-the-scenes view of a bustling nonprofit organization
- Ongoing professional development opportunities, including:
- Networking with SF Bicycle Coalition staff and professionals in a variety of fields, including but not limited to urban planning, transportation and nonprofits
- Training on and experience with nonprofit industry standard software (Salesforce, Basecamp, etc.)
- Presentations and trainings aimed at development of professional workforce skills
- Indoor bike parking provided
This unpaid internship offers a flexible schedule with a 5-10 hour/week commitment. This is chiefly a Monday through Friday internship, with about one weekend day per month. Interns are expected to make a three-month commitment, which may be extended. While the position is not paid, we are happy to work with any academic requirements the intern may have to help them earn course credit for their efforts.
Write a compelling cover letter and resume, and submit using the form. Be sure to mention where you saw the internship advertised. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. People of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation.