The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to promote bicycling for everyday transportation. Our member-based grassroots organization is considered one of the largest, most active and effective advocacy groups in the country. For 45 years, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition has a proven track record of winning better bicycling improvements.
Bike & Roll To School Week is the SF Bicycle Coalition’s annual celebration of active transportation for families and schools throughout San Francisco, taking place April 17-21 2017. Last year 84 schools participated, and over 3,000 students, parents and school staff biked or rolled to school, and thousands more walked, rolled by scooter or skateboard, and took public transit. The SF Bicycle Coalition provides intensive support at 35 public elementary schools, and is a partner agency of the sponsoring SF Safe Routes to School (SRTS) project, working to make it safer, easier, and more fun to walk and bike to school.
The Bike & Roll to School Events Intern will have an inside view of the SF Bicycle Coalition, a vibrant growing nonprofit/advocacy organization and gain first-hand experience working with parents, school communities, partner organizations and the general public to promote and organize this event. Tasks will be tailored to match the intern’s individual interests and our mission: to promote the bicycle for everyday transportation for ages 8 to 80.
Roles and responsibilities (will vary)
- Grassroots outreach with parents, community members and SF Bicycle Coalition members to engage them in youth and family programs.
- Organize and assist with family engagement activities
- Database management to improve how we serve families
- Represent SF Bicycle Coalition at school and community events
- Assist with communications (phone, personal outreach, email, social media)
- Research to support Youth and Family programs
Required skills or abilities:
- Strong written, online and oral communication skills (Bilingual Spanish/English or Cantonese/English a big plus)
- Comfort and proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google tools
- Passion for making San Francisco a better city for biking and living
- Experience in (or willingness to learn) community outreach
- Ability to get around the city to attend meetings and do outreach
- Some weekend and evening hours required
- Ability to work on tasks independently
Desired skills or abilities:
- Graphic design experience
- Experience with online marketing
Required dates for this internship include:
- Orientation (date TBD)
- One year’s free membership to the SF Bicycle Coalition
- Firsthand experience in one of the country’s oldest and largest bicycle advocacy organizations
- A behind-the-scenes view of a bustling nonprofit organization
- Ongoing professional development opportunities, including:
- Networking with SF Bicycle Coalition staff and professionals in a variety of fields, including but not limited to urban planning, transportation and nonprofits
- Training on and experience with nonprofit industry standard software (Salesforce, Basecamp, etc.)
- Indoor bike parking provided
This unpaid internship offers a flexible schedule with a 10-15 hour/week minimum commitment. This is chiefly a Monday through Friday internship, with occasional evenings and weekends. Interns are expected to make a three-month commitment, which may be extended. While the position is not paid, we are happy to work with any academic requirements the intern may have to help them earn course credit for their efforts.
Write a compelling cover letter and resume, and submit as PDFs using the form below. Be sure to mention where you saw the internship advertised. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. People of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation.