The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition seeks a Communications Designer to join our team to design new marketing collateral and optimize current ones for growing our member and subscriber base and increasing engagement. If you are passionate about increasing the reach of bicycle advocacy in all San Francisco neighborhoods, this is your chance to create highly visible work that makes our city a better place to live, work and play.
Hours: Full time, with some evenings for special events throughout the year
Reports to: Communications Director
About the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to promote the bicycle for everyday transportation. Our member-based grassroots organization is considered one of the largest, most active and most effective advocacy groups in the country for people who bike. For more than 45 years, the SF Bicycle Coalition has developed a proven track record of winning better bicycling improvements through engaging the public in our work.
The Communications Designer will collect and analyze data related to our existing communications and lead the way on designing improvements in response to learnings. The Communications Designer will provide direct support to the Communications Director and collaborate with colleagues across the organization’s staff. Along with the Communications Director, the Communications Designer will lead the way in designing communications that further the SF Bicycle Coalition’s work towards the membership, list growth and volunteer goals including in our newly adopted Strategic Plan.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Create marketing materials in support of SF Bicycle Coalition campaigns and events ranging from emails, digital ads, bus and bus stop ads, pamphlets, flyers, infographics, posters, landing pages and other web-based (HTML) projects, and more;
- Communicate effectively with colleagues across teams to articulate how your work help them do their jobs effectively;
- Design impactful marketing collateral informed by data;
- Run audits and present to colleagues regularly on ongoing digital campaigns;
- Conduct ongoing research and implementation of digital marketing industry standards and best practices;
- Employ digital strategies to increase our volunteers, members, email subscribers and social media followers;
- Manage print orders and coordinating with printers and other contractors;
- Update the SF Bicycle Coalition’s website to accurately reflect the latest information, developments and campaigns;
- Assist with digital asset management, such as tagging photos, creating photo albums, selecting photos for social media use or resizing images;
- Copy writing and copy editing;
- Queue communications up on WordPress and Salesforce Marketing Cloud; and
- Photography assignments.
Required skills or abilities:
- Strong visual aesthetic and proven expertise in composition and layout, color theory, photography, illustration and typography;
- Mastery of the Adobe Creative Suite;
- Experience designing within brand guidelines but also leading the evolution of an organization’s brand;
- Ability to multi-task and triage in a busy work environment;
- Acute attention to detail;
- Strong collaborative skills;
- Clear interpersonal communication;
- Strong working knowledge of HTML;
- Dedication to efficiency and timeliness; and
- Strong commitment to the SF Bicycle Coalition’s mission and the values in our Strategic Plan.
Desired skills or abilities:
- Strong, concise writing;
- A keen eye for copy-editing and/or inconsistencies;
- Project management experience;
- Language skills, including Chinese, Spanish or Tagalog; and
- Digital asset management experience.
- Salary starting in the mid-$40,000s to $50,000, depending upon qualifications and experience;
- The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition offers a competitive benefits package;
- All federal holidays off; and
- Indoor bike parking provided.
Write a compelling cover letter and resume, including a link to your design portfolio, and submit them as pdfs using the form linked below. Be sure to mention where you saw the job advertised. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer.