The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is seeking a Membership Manager.
Hours: Full-time. Flexibility to work nights and weekends; this position may require approximately three-to-seven nights per month and one-to-three weekend days monthly.
Reports to: Development Director
About the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
Through day-to-day advocacy, education, and working partnerships with government agencies and community organizations, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is dedicated to creating safe streets and more livable communities for all San Franciscans by promoting the bicycle for everyday transportation. Our active membership of over 10,000 represents San Franciscans of all ages and backgrounds from all neighborhoods who are working towards safe, sustainable and more affordable ways to move around our city. The SF Bicycle Coalition is the largest city-based bicycle advocacy group in the nation and one of the largest member-driven groups in San Francisco. Our members donate over 10,000 volunteer hours per year.
The Membership Manager will oversee all aspects of the SF Bicycle Coalition’s robust Membership program and lead our work towards membership growth and retention. They will engage individual and business members in our advocacy work, furthering the strategic goals and mission of the organization. The Membership Manager will advance our outreach and list growth strategy to the large and growing number of people biking. They will oversee the member experience, including member communications, benefits and affinity groups. Working within the Membership and Development department, but also across teams with the Advocacy, Program and Communications teams, the Membership Manager will represent our members’ interests and demonstrate a command of issues and campaigns relevant to a broad cross-section of our membership.
Specific duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Supervise full-time Membership and Volunteer Coordinator, and part-time Phone Bank Coordinator;
- Develop and execute Membership strategy, including annual plans and budget goals for Membership programs focused on growth and diversification of membership base, aligned with organizational strategic plan;
- Plan and execute all direct and electronic mail campaigns related to member acquisition and renewal with an eye towards growing the number of new and renewing members;
- Design and administer biennial member survey;
- Plan and support Program and Advocacy staff in conducting streetside and event outreach activities, achieving specific goals related to list and member acquisition;
- Work with programs staff on multilingual and culturally competent membership outreach initiatives;
- Support Phone Bank Coordinator as needed in meeting budgeted goals for phone bank membership renewal;
- Work with Membership and Volunteer Coordinator to develop goals and strategies for achieving membership acquisition and renewals related to major events;
- Oversee Monthly Giving program, including setting goals and strategies to grow the program while supervising Membership and Volunteer Coordinator to manage monthly giver accounts;
- Plan and execute regular member engagement events such as New Member Meet & Greets;
- Oversee all other miscellaneous outreach initiatives, including bike shop outreach, aligning with strategic goals and objectives for membership growth and advocacy campaigns, delegating responsibility for execution as needed; and
- Work with board of directors’ membership committee to grow individual and business membership.
Strong candidates will possess the following key qualifications:
- A deep commitment to the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition’s mission;
- Previous management and leadership experience including five years of progressively increasing responsibility;
- Budgeting and forecasting experience;
- Successful design and execution of multi-channel campaigns using direct marketing, digital engagement, online solicitations and related marketing vehicles;
- Successful project planning and strategy implementation;
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking and time-management skills;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Exceptional writing skills for a diversity of media and audiences;
- Experience with Salesforce or other CRM;
- Experience with WordPress or another CMS;
- Experience with Marketing Cloud or other email software;
- Familiarity working with diverse communities;
- Volunteer experience or community involvement; and
- Fluency in languages other than English, specifically Spanish, Cantonese or Tagalog.
Salary and Benefits
The annual salary for this exempt position is mid-$50,000s or higher, depending upon relevancy of experience. Full-time benefits include medical, vision and dental insurance.
How to Apply
Write a compelling cover letter and resume, and submit them by clicking “Apply for Position” below. Be sure to mention where you saw the opening advertised. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply via mail, please enclose your resume and cover letter in a sealed envelope and mail to:
San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
1720 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
You are also welcome to drop the envelope off in-person.
Applications will be reviewed starting on Feb. 19 and considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.