Public Affairs Communications Internship
The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to promote bicycling for everyday transportation. Our member-based grassroots organization is considered one of the largest, most active and effective bicycle advocacy groups in the country. For over 45 years, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition has had a proven track record of winning better bicycling improvements, in part through engaging media and the public in our work.
The Public Affairs Intern will gain experience in written communications on bicycle advocacy in the sometimes contentious political environment of San Francisco. This internship will focus on how we grow and maintain a strong and positive presence online, in print and in the media in order to further our mission of promoting the bicycle for transportation. The Public Affairs Communications Intern will provide direct support to the Communications Director.
What you’ll learn:
- Introductory media relations;
- Introductory online organizing;
- Introductory messaging;
- Introductory HTML; and
- How to write for journalists and the public across an array of media.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Track media hits related to the SF Bicycle Coalition and our work;
- Assist with weekly production of our e-newsletter;
- Copy editing written materials;
- Light HTML work for web and email communications; and
- Reach out to campaign members with strategic opportunities to advance safer streets.
Secondary Roles and Responsibilities:
- Writing press releases, media advisories, blog posts and campaign emails;
- Assist with digital asset management, whether that’s tagging photos, creating facebook albums, selecting photos for instagram use or resizing images; and
- Light design or photography projects may also be available for the right candidate.
Required skills or abilities:
- Strong, concise writing;
- Ability to multi-task and triage in a busy work environment;
- Acute attention to detail;
- Inclination towards collaboration;
- Clear interpersonal communication; and
- Dedication to efficiency and timeliness.
Desired skills or abilities:
- Strong commitment to the mission of the SF Bicycle Coalition;
- Ability to write in Spanish or Chinese;
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite, (e.g., Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign);
- Familiarity with AP Style; and
- Strong political instincts and awareness of SF’s political landscape.
Required dates for this internship include:
- May or June 2018 to August or September 2018.
- One year’s free membership to the SF Bicycle Coalition;
- Firsthand experience in one of the country’s oldest and largest bicycle advocacy organizations;
- A behind-the-scenes view of a bustling nonprofit organization;
- Ongoing professional development opportunities, including:
- Networking with SF Bicycle Coalition staff and professionals in a variety of fields, including but not limited to urban planning, transportation and nonprofits;
- Training on and experience with nonprofit industry standard software (Salesforce, WordPress, Marketing Cloud, etc.); and
- Presentations and trainings aimed at development of professional workforce skills.
- Indoor bike parking provided.
This unpaid internship offers a flexible schedule with a 15-25 hours/week minimum commitment. This is chiefly a Monday through Friday internship, with occasional, infrequent evenings and weekends. Interns are expected to make a three-month commitment, which may be extended. While the position is not paid, we are happy to work with any academic requirements the intern may have to help them earn course credit for their efforts.
Write a compelling cover letter and resume, and submit as PDFs using the form. Be sure to mention where you saw the internship advertised. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer.