The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to promote bicycling for everyday transportation. Our member-based grassroots organization is considered one of the largest, most active and effective advocacy groups in the country. For more than 45 years, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition has a proven track record of winning better bicycling improvements.
The SF Bicycle Coalition is a partner agency of the SF Safe Routes to School (SRTS) project. We support 29 public elementary schools throughout San Francisco and their surrounding communities, working to make it safer, easier, and more fun to walk and bike to school. We help build School based-teams and facilitate neighborhood task forces to promote safer streets and empower caregivers to become advocates for better transportation.
The Schools and Family Intern will have an inside view of the SF Bicycle Coalition, a vibrant growing nonprofit/advocacy organization and gain first-hand experience with the unique communications challenges when reaching parents and school communities. Tasks will be tailored to match the intern’s individual interests and our mission: to promote the bicycle for everyday transportation for ages 8 to 80.
Roles and Responsibilities (will vary):
- Assist with direct outreach and online communications with parents, school staff and SF Bicycle Coalition members to engage them in programs
- Assist with database management and other administrative support as needed
- Represent SRTS and the SF Bicycle Coalition at PTA and community meetings and events
- Develop and execute mass emails, blog posts, and social media posts
- Work onsite at schools to collect qualitative and quantitative data
- Help with school and community events and workshops
Required skills or abilities:
- Strong written, online, oral communication skills.
- Comfort and proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google tools
- Interest in making San Francisco a better city for families biking and using public spaces
- Experience or interest in community outreach
- Ability to travel throughout the city for events and meetings
- Ability to work on tasks independently
Desired skills or abilities:
- Bilingual in Spanish or Cantonese a big plus
- Graphic design experience (Adobe Creative Suite)
- Salesforce experience
- Photo or video documentation
- One year’s free membership to the SF Bicycle Coalition
- First-hand experience in one of the country’s oldest and largest bicycle advocacy organizations
- Ongoing professional development opportunities
- A behind-the-scenes view of a nonprofit agency and citywide partnership
This unpaid internship offers a flexible schedule with a 10-15 hour/week minimum commitment. This is chiefly weekday internship, with a few specific weekend evening dates. Interns are expected to make a three-month commitment, which may be extended. While the position is not paid, we are happy to work with any academic requirements the intern may have to help them earn course credit for their efforts.
Write a compelling cover letter and resume, and submit using the form. Be sure to mention where you saw the internship advertised. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. People of all genders and cultural origins are strongly encouraged to apply. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation.