The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to promote bicycling for everyday transportation. Our member-based grassroots organization is considered one of the largest, most active and effective advocacy groups in the country. For more than 45 years, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition has a proven track record of winning better bicycling improvements.
The SF Bicycle Coalition Youth & Family Biking program is dedicated to making it possible for every child and youth to ride a bike in San Francisco. The SF Bicycle Coalition provides bike education through Family Biking workshops, education and outreach at community events, and Safe Routes to School programs.
The Youth & Family Biking Intern will help with projects related to our Youth & Family Biking Education programs. They will gain an inside view of the SF Bicycle Coalition, a vibrant growing nonprofit/advocacy organization and gain first-hand experience with the unique communications challenges of reaching parents and school communities.
Roles and Responsibilities (will vary)
- Review and update existing Bike Education and Safe Routes to School products (such as powerpoints and promotional materials) and be family-directed and culturally appropriate
- Assist with community outreach at and for Family Biking events
- Schedule Family Biking classes and workshops
- Research and expand outreach through family-oriented media
- Assist with data entry and data collection and evaluation pre- and post-events
- Other duties as directed
Required skills or abilities:
- Willing to ride a bike in an urban environment
- Strong written, online and oral communication skills
- Comfort and proficiency with online communication tools (e.g. Google suite, social media)
- Experience or interest in children and family recreation or education
- Ability to work on tasks independently
Desired skills or abilities:
- Video, photographic or graphic design skills
- Bilingual in Spanish or Cantonese a big plus
- Salesforce experience
- One year’s free membership to the SF Bicycle Coalition
- Firsthand experience in one of the country’s oldest and largest bicycle advocacy organizations
- A behind-the-scenes view of a bustling nonprofit organization
- Ongoing professional development opportunities, including:
- Networking with SF Bicycle Coalition staff and professionals in a variety of fields, including but not limited to community organizing and program marketing
- Training on and experience with nonprofit industry standard software (Salesforce, Basecamp, etc.)
- Trainings aimed at development of professional workforce skills
- Indoor bike parking provided
This unpaid internship offers a flexible schedule with a 10-15 hour/week minimum commitment. This is chiefly weekday internship, with a few specific weekend evening dates. Interns are expected to make a three-month commitment, which may be extended. While the position is not paid, we are happy to work with any academic requirements the intern may have to help them earn course credit for their efforts.
Write a compelling cover letter and resume, and submit using the form. Be sure to mention where you saw the internship advertised. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. People of all genders and cultural origins are strongly encouraged to apply. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation.