The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to promote bicycling for everyday transportation. Our member-based grassroots organization is considered one of the largest, most active and effective advocacy groups in the country. For more than 45 years, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition has a proven track record of winning better bicycling improvements.
Bike & Roll To School Week is the SF Bicycle Coalition’s annual celebration for families and schools throughout San Francisco, taking place April 16-20 2018. Last year 93 schools registered, and over 3,000 students, parents and school staff biked or rolled to school, with thousands more who walked, rolled by scooter or skateboard, and took public transit. The SF Bicycle Coalition is a partner agency of the sponsor, the SF Safe Routes to School (SRTS) project, working to make it safer, easier, and more fun to walk and bike to school.
The Bike & Roll to School Events Intern will have an inside view of the SF Bicycle Coalition, a vibrant growing nonprofit/advocacy organization, and gain first-hand experience working with parents, school communities, partner organizations and the general public to promote and organize this event. Tasks will be tailored to match the intern’s individual interests and our mission: to promote the bicycle for everyday transportation.
Roles and Responsibilities (will vary)
- Direct outreach and online communications to engage families, schools and volunteers
- Develop logistics of the big event and communicate with volunteers and staff assisting
- Assist with marketing and planning, including social media
- Assist with database management, mass emails, other communications
- Data collection and evaluation pre- and post-event
- Represent SF Bicycle Coalition at school and community meetings and events
Required skills or abilities:
- Strong written, online and oral communication skills.
- Comfort and proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google tools
- Passion for making San Francisco a better city for biking and living
- Experience in (or willingness to learn) event planning and community outreach
- Ability to get around the city to attend meetings and do outreach
- Ability to work on tasks independently
- Some early mornings and weekends required
Required Dates include
- Intern Orientation Day; date TBD
- 7:30AM-9AM Tuesday, April 17
- ONE 8-hour day the week of April 3-7
- Minimum one weekend daytime event per month; TBD
Desired skills or abilities:
- Graphic design experience
- Salesforce experience
- photo or video documentation
- Bilingual (Spanish or Cantonese) a plus
- One year’s free membership to the SF Bicycle Coalition
- First-hand experience in one of the oldest and largest bicycle advocacy organizations
- Ongoing professional development opportunities
- A behind-the-scenes view of a nonprofit agency and citywide partnership
Indoor bike parking provided
This unpaid internship offers a flexible schedule with a 10-20 hour/week minimum commitment, chiefly Monday through Friday, with occasional evenings and weekends. Interns are expected to make a minimum three-month commitment, which may be extended. While the position is not paid, we are happy to work with any academic requirements the intern may have to help them earn course credit for their efforts.