The SF Bicycle Coalition is a partner agency of the SF Safe Routes to School (SRTS) project, working to make it safer, easier, and more fun to walk and bike to school. We work with 25 public elementary schools: to foster parent volunteerism, develop walking school buses, bike trains and encouragement events such as Bike and Roll to School Day. We also encourage transit use, carpooling and advocate for street improvements to reduce traffic hazards around schools.
The Safe Routes to School Intern will gain firsthand experience in community organizing and leadership development with parents and school communities. The SF Bicycle Coalition provides advocacy opportunities and the inside view of vibrant growing non profit organization. Tasks will be tailored to match individual interests and our mission: promoting the bicycle for everyday transportation for ages 8 to 80.
Roles and Responsibilities (will vary)
- Grassroots outreach with parents, families, school wellness staff and SF Bicycle Coalition members to engage them in SRTS activities
- Organize and assist with parent engagement, including database management, email/phone communication, education, and attending school meetings
- Assist with communications (emails, blog posts, and social media)
- Research and data collection on SRTS-related tasks such as school travel tallies and best practices for biking and walking to school
Required skills or abilities:
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Passion for making San Francisco a better city for biking and living
- Experience in (or willingness to learn) community outreach
- Ability to get around the city to attend meetings and do outreach
- Ability to work on tasks independently
Desired skills or abilities:
- Bilingual Spanish/Cantonese fluency strongly desired
- HTML and graphic design experience (Adobe Creative Suite)
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS) mapping
- 1 year’s free membership to the SF Bicycle Coalition
- First-hand experience in one of the country’s oldest and largest bicycle advocacy organizations
- Ongoing professional development opportunities
- A behind-the-scenes view of a bustling nonprofit organization
How to Apply:
Write a compelling cover letter and resume, and submit using the form. Be sure to mention where you saw the internship advertised. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. People of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation.