The SF Bicycle Coalition is a partner agency of the SF Safe Routes to School (SRTS) project, working to make it safer, easier, and more fun to walk and bike to school. At 35 public elementary schools we raise consciousness about the SRTS programs, foster parent volunteerism, develop walking school buses and bike trains, and assist with encouragement events including the citywide Walk and Roll to School Day. SRTS also encourages family transit use and “car lite” options, such as park-and-walk and carpooling. We advocate, when possible, for street improvements designed to reduce traffic hazards around schools.
The Safe Routes To School Intern will have an inside view of a multi-agency partnership and of the SF Bicycle Coalition, a vibrant growing nonprofit/advocacy organization. The intern will gain first-hand experience in community organizing and leadership development with parents and school communities. Tasks will be tailored to match individual interests and our mission: to promote the bicycle for everyday transportation.
Roles and Responsibilities (will vary)
- Grassroots outreach with parents, school staff and SF Bicycle Coalition members to engage them in SRTS activities
- Organize and assist with parent engagement, including database management, email/phone communication, trainings
- Represent SRTS and the SF Bicycle Coalition at PTA and community meetings and events
- Assist with communications (emails, blog posts, and social media)
- Research and data collection on SRTS activities
Required skills or abilities:
- Strong written, online and oral communication skills. Bilingual in Spanish or Cantonese a big plus
- Comfort and proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google tools
- Passion for making San Francisco a better city for biking and living
- Experience in (or willingness to learn) community outreach
- Ability to get around the city to attend meetings and do outreach
- Ability to work on tasks independently
Desired skills or abilities:
- Graphic design experience a big plus (Adobe Creative Suite)
- Mapping programs such as Geographic Information Systems (GIS) helpful not required
Required dates for this internship include:
- August 18, 2015: Approximate start date
- September 1, 2015: Fall intern orientation
- October 7, 2015: Walk and Roll to School Day
- One year’s free membership to the SF Bicycle Coalition
- Firsthand experience in one of the country’s oldest and largest bicycle advocacy organizations
- A behind-the-scenes view of a bustling nonprofit organization
- Ongoing professional development opportunities, including:
- Networking with SF Bicycle Coalition staff and professionals in a variety of fields, including but not limited to urban planning, transportation and nonprofits
- Training on and experience with nonprofit industry standard software (Salesforce, Basecamp, etc.)
- Presentations and trainings aimed at development of professional workforce skills
- Indoor bike parking provided
How to Apply:
Write a compelling cover letter and resume, and submit using the form. Be sure to mention where you saw the internship advertised. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. People of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation.
We are no longer hiring for this position. Please check back in the future.