The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to promote bicycling for everyday transportation. Our member-based grassroots organization is considered one of the largest, most active and effective advocacy groups in the country. For more than 40 years, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition has a proven track record of winning better bicycling improvements.
The SF Bicycle Coalition Youth & Family Biking program is dedicated to making it possible for every child and youth to ride a bike in San Francisco. The SF Bicycle Coalition provides bike education through Family Biking workshops and Safe Routes to School programs.
The Youth & Family Biking Communications Intern will help with projects related to our Youth & Family Biking Educational programs. They will gain an inside view of the SF Bicycle Coalition, a vibrant growing nonprofit/advocacy organization and gain first-hand experience with the unique communications challenges of reaching parents and school communities.
Roles and Responsibilities (will vary)
- Review existing Adult Bicycle Education and Safe Routes to School products (such as powerpoints and promotional materials) and revise for programs for parents and/or teenagers
- Organize Youth and Family program photographs to better utilize for all communications
- Assist with data entry and data collection and evaluation pre- and post-events
- Assist with e-newsletters, blog posts, and social media posts
- Help with Family Biking events
Required skills or abilities:
- Strong written, online and oral communication skills.
- Comfort and proficiency with social media
- Video, photographic and/or graphic design skills
- Passion for making San Francisco a better city for biking and living
- Comfortable riding a bike in an urban environment
- Ability to work on tasks independently
Desired skills or abilities:
- Bilingual in Spanish or Cantonese a big plus
- Salesforce experience
- One year’s free membership to the SF Bicycle Coalition
- Firsthand experience in one of the country’s oldest and largest bicycle advocacy organizations
- A behind-the-scenes view of a bustling nonprofit organization
- Ongoing professional development opportunities, including:
- Networking with SF Bicycle Coalition staff and professionals in a variety of fields, including but not limited to urban planning, transportation and nonprofits
- Training on and experience with nonprofit industry standard software (Salesforce, Basecamp, etc.)
- Presentations and trainings aimed at development of professional workforce skills
- Indoor bike parking provided
This unpaid internship offers a flexible schedule with a 10-15 hour/week minimum commitment. This is chiefly a Monday through Friday internship, with occasional evenings and weekends. Interns are expected to make a three-month commitment, which may be extended. While the position is not paid, we are happy to work with any academic requirements the intern may have to help them earn course credit for their efforts.
Write a compelling cover letter and resume, and submit using the form. Be sure to mention where you saw the internship advertised. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. People of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation.