Volunteers are key to the success of our organization. We have over 1,000 active volunteers every year, and the Volunteer Coordination Intern will learn firsthand about the backbone of our advocacy organization–our members–by organizing people around transportation issues in their neighborhood while building San Francisco’s bicycle community. You will gain hands-on professional development and valuable experience in communications, outreach and event planning for a thriving nonprofit organization. We will challenge you with a fast-paced, quick-turnaround experience on a hard-working team.
This is a great opportunity for someone with a strong interest in volunteer management and organizing who wants to get a better understanding of how to work with diverse volunteer populations, manage a broad range of projects, and how to best leverage volunteers to support and grow a nonprofit. This internship will address all aspects of volunteer management, from recruitment to training to appreciation and retention, as well as program evaluation. You will have the benefit of learning critical volunteer organizing and advocacy skills from experienced staff. Plus, the SF Bicycle Coalition volunteer community is a fun, energetic and inspiring group of people.
This internship offers a flexible schedule with a 15-20 hour/week minimum commitment. This is chiefly a Monday through Friday internship, with typically 1-2 weekday days/month and occasional evenings. Interns are expected to make a three-month commitment, which may be extended.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Assist in the recruiting and training of SF Bicycle Coalition volunteers for a variety events
- Solicit and secure in-kind community donations for events
- Represent the SF Bicycle Coalition Bicycle at events, fairs, trainings as needed
- Organize and manage mass mailings
- Assist in management of our Salesforce database
- Write and edit social media, newsletter and website marketing for volunteer opportunities
An Ideal Candidate will:
- Have interest and/or experience in volunteer recruitment and management
- Possess strong organizational/multi-tasking skills, attention to detail and have an ability to meet deadlines on time
- Be a self-starter able to take initiative on individual projects
- Have excellent and persuasive written and oral communication skills
- Be a strong writer, researcher and editor; familiar with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and the Internet
- Be outgoing, dynamic, and flexible
- Be familiar with biking in San Francisco
- The position is unpaid but we are happy to work with any academic requirements the intern may have to help them earn college credit for their efforts
- 1 year’s free membership to the SF Bicycle Coalition
- First-hand experience in one of the country’s oldest and largest bicycle advocacy organizations
- Ongoing professional development opportunities
- Behind-the-scenes view of a bustling nonprofit organization
- Indoor bike parking provided
How to Apply
Write a compelling cover letter and resume, and submit using the form. Be sure to mention where you saw the internship advertised. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. People of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation.