The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is seeking energetic and organized individuals interested in providing first-class outreach efforts to come be a part of our Bicycle Education team as Bicycle Education Outreach Specialists. Candidates must have a flexible schedule, with availability primarily on weekends and some days and nights. If you want to further the mission of the SF Bicycle Coalition by encouraging San Franciscans to bike at events all over San Francisco, we’d love to hear from you!
Bicycle Education Internship
The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to promote bicycling for everyday transportation. Our member-based grassroots organization is considered one of the largest, most active and effective advocacy groups in the country. For more than 40 years, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition has a proven track record of winning better bicycling improvements.
The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is the leading provider of bike safety education in San Francisco. Our free Adult Urban Bicycling Workshops help people (ages 14+) feel safe, comfortable and confident bicycling in the city. Our four-part Family Bicycling Class series begins with Biking While Pregnant and concludes with Freedom from Training Wheels. Our courses are offered year-round in neighborhoods across the city. Additionally, we teach professional drivers, such as MUNI drivers and taxi drivers, how to share the road safely with people on bikes.
The Bicycle Education Intern will gain firsthand experience in all aspects of bicycle education programming in one of the largest bicycle advocacy organizations in the country. In addition to working on programming, the intern will have the opportunity to teach bicycle education classes.
What you’ll learn:
- Tactics for engaging people from many backgrounds in learning bike safety and confidence on the street
- Teaching skills to bring bicycle education to San Franciscans
- Program coordination, including constituent outreach & engagement, logistics management, and database management.
Responsibilities and duties include (but are not limited to):
- Grassroots outreach with local businesses, neighborhood groups, residents, families and members to coordinate bike education classes
- Assistance with member engagement, database management, email/phone communication
- Co-teaching and/or individually teaching two to three bicycle education classes, based on skills and experience
- Class evaluation data compilation and analysis
- May also assist with outreach to local businesses and companies to coordinate professional driver education classes
Required skills or abilities:
- Extremely strong written and oral communication skills
- Highly organized and self-starter; ability to take on new tasks quickly and easily
- Comfort presenting in front of large groups of people
- Comfort riding a bike in an urban environment
- Passion for making San Francisco a better city for living and biking
Desired skills or abilities:
- Experience in education programming or outreach
- Fluency in Spanish, Mandarin or Cantonese
- Graphic design skills and experience (Adobe Creative Suite)
- Experience with Salesforce or other databases, Google Apps (Docs, Calendar, Gmail, etc.), Eventbrite, WordPress and/or SurveyMonkey helpful but not required
Required dates for this internship include:
- January 2018 TBD: Spring intern orientation
- One Sunday/month beginning in March: Sunday Streets
- Other dates TBD
- One year’s free membership to the SF Bicycle Coalition
- Firsthand experience in one of the country’s oldest and largest bicycle advocacy organizations
- A behind-the-scenes view of a bustling nonprofit organization
- Ongoing professional development opportunities, including:
- Networking with SF Bicycle Coalition staff and professionals in a variety of fields, including but not limited to urban planning, transportation and nonprofits
- Training on and experience with nonprofit industry standard software (Salesforce, Basecamp, etc.)
- Presentations and trainings aimed at development of professional workforce skills
- Indoor bike parking provided
This unpaid internship offers a flexible schedule with a 10-20 hour/week minimum commitment. This is chiefly a Monday through Friday internship, with occasional evenings and weekends. Interns are expected to make a three-month commitment, which may be extended. While the position is not paid, we are happy to work with any academic requirements the intern may have to help them earn course credit for their efforts.
Write a compelling cover letter and resume, and submit using the form. Be sure to mention where you saw the internship advertised. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. People of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation.
We are no longer hiring for this position.