The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is seeking a seasoned, highly motivated individual to direct the organization’s diverse fundraising efforts in support of our advocacy and programmatic work. This is an amazing opportunity for a development professional to work with a dedicated staff and active membership of over 10,000 to promote the bicycle for everyday transportation.
Hours: Full-time position. Position will entail some work on weeknights and weekends.
Reports to: Executive Director
Manages: A dynamic staff of three-to-four individuals focused on development, membership and events.
About the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
Through day-to-day advocacy, education and working partnerships with government and community agencies, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is dedicated to creating safer streets and more livable communities for all San Franciscans by promoting the bicycle for everyday transportation.
Our active membership of over 10,000 represents San Franciscans of all ages and backgrounds from all neighborhoods who are working towards safer, greener and more efficient ways to move around our city. The SF Bicycle Coalition is the largest city-based bicycle advocacy group in the nation and one of the largest member-driven groups in San Francisco. Our members donate over 10,000 volunteer hours a year.
This is an opportunity for a proven fundraiser, passionate about making San Francisco a better place to live, work and bike. While the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition has diverse and strong revenue streams, opportunities exist for even greater growth and diversification of our revenue. We are looking for a strong, creative leader in the fundraising field who will help our organization grow to the next level.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Overseeing and increasing our major gifts program;
- Expanding foundation grant funding;
- Collaborating with Membership and Business Program Manager to grow and diversify our membership, particularly in the areas of business membership and monthly sustainers;
- Collaborating with Development Manager to ensure smooth and timely gift transmittal processes and grant pipeline management as well as manage discount partner program;
- Collaborating with Event Planner on major fundraising events throughout the year;
- Overseeing corporate sponsorship program;
- Assessing opportunities for income growth and diversification;
- Leading an effective team focusing on membership growth, event management and donor cultivation and stewardship;
- Working directly with our Board of Directors, key supporters and sponsors, as well as organizational partners;
- Setting up effective systems and structure to support fundraising efforts;
- Playing an active role in budgeting and forecasting.
Strong candidates will possess the following key qualifications:
- Have 5 years or more of progressively increasing responsibility in nonprofit fundraising;
- Successful track record in soliciting gifts from individuals, foundations and corporations, in an annual revenue setting of at least $1-$5 million;
- Experience managing development and allied staff, including events and membership management;
- Experience in staffing an Executive Director, Board and other peer solicitors in “moves management” of major donors and prospects;
- Successful design and execution of multi-channel campaigns using direct marketing, online solicitations, social media and related fundraising vehicles;
- Successful project planning and strategy implementation;
- Excellent communication skills;
- CRM Software experience, preferably with Salesforce;
- Possess excellent interpersonal and networking skills;
- Budgeting and forecasting experience;
- Exceptional, proven writing skills for a diversity of media and audiences;
- Team player, willing partner with program, communications and operations leadership; and
- A commitment to and passion for the SF Bicycle Coalition’s mission.
The annual salary for this position is competitive, commensurate with experience, and includes attractive benefits and annual leave package. This is a full-time, exempt position.
Write a compelling cover letter and resume, and submit them by clicking “Apply for Position” below. Be sure to mention where you saw the job advertised. Applications will be reviewed starting Mon., July 11 on a rolling basis until the position is filled. People of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation.
UPDATE: We are no longer accepting applications for the Development Director position. If you have questions, please contact Brian.