The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is seeking a seasoned, highly motivated individual to direct the organization’s programmatic work. This is an amazing opportunity for an individual with program management and contract procurement and oversight experience to work with a dedicated staff and active membership of over 10,000 to promote the bicycle for everyday transportation.
Hours: Full-time position. Position will entail some work on weeknights and weekends.
Reports to: Executive Director
Manages: A dynamic staff of four individuals focused on youth and family biking, adult bicycle education, community bike builds, valet bicycle parking and volunteer management.
This is an opportunity for an experienced and capable professional who is passionate about making San Francisco a better place to live, work and bike. While the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition has many best-in-class programs supported by long-term contracts, opportunities exist to evaluate and refine our approaches, and expand their scope and impact. We are looking for a strong, creative leader with relevant experience who will help take our programs to the next level.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Lead, direct and manage overall San Francisco Bicycle Coalition Program work, priorities and deliverables, including planning initiatives, contract management and all programs;
- Manage and coach three Program staff: Family and Schools Program Manager and two Program Coordinators. This includes oversight of campaign strategy, training, professional development and oversight of contracts and deliverables;
- Ensure that outcomes and targets related to the organizational strategic plan are met or exceeded;
- Prepare and submit bids for RFPs relevant to our mission and program work, monitor open contract compliance, and prepare and submit reports relevant to contract work;
- Maintain positive working relationships with relevant partners in government, other nonprofit agencies and the private sector;
- Develop and monitor plans to meet or exceed budgeted goals for earned revenue programs including valet bicycle parking and professional driver training; and
- Play an active role in budgeting and forecasting.
Strong candidates will possess the following key qualifications:
- Five years or more of progressively increasing responsibility in program development and management;
- Successful track record in bidding and winning contracts, monitoring deliverables, and reporting on success;
- Experience managing program staff, including staff who work with public schools, youth and families, and volunteers;
- Experience with a membership-based organization;
- Successful project planning and strategy implementation;
- Excellent communication skills;
- CRM software experience, preferably with Salesforce;
- Possess excellent interpersonal and networking skills;
- Budgeting and forecasting experience;
- Exceptional, proven writing skills for a diversity of media and audiences;
- Team player, willing partner with development, advocacy, communications and operations leadership; and
- A commitment to and passion for the SF Bicycle Coalition’s mission.
The annual salary for this position is competitive, commensurate with experience, and includes attractive benefits and annual leave package. This is a full-time exempt position.
Write a compelling cover letter and resume and submit them by clicking “Apply for Position” below. Be sure to mention where you saw the job advertised. Applications will be reviewed starting Monday, Aug. 15 on a rolling basis until the position is filled. People of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation.
UPDATE: We are no longer accepting applications for the Program Director position. If you have questions, please contact Brian.