The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an effective, member-supported non-profit organization working to promote bicycling for everyday transportation. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition's work during the past decade has helped to double the number of people biking in San Francisco. We are working to connect the city with a complete system of crosstown bikeways designed so that anyone, from an 8-year old child to an 80-year old grandmother, can feel safe and comfortable crossing the city on a bicycle.
The Operations Manager reports to the SF Bicycle Coalition's Operations Director and works closely with a team of staff, Board members, interns, and volunteers. This position requires a varied skillset; the Operations Manager ensures organizational effectiveness and sustainability by overseeing the organization's financial and operations functions. Areas of responsibility include financial management, bookkeeping, contract administration, reporting, budgeting, human resources, and office management.
If you are passionate about bicycling, this is your chance to help improve the lives of huge numbers of San Franciscans by understanding and supporting the administrative needs of a growing program, membership, and development staff.
- Hours: Full-time
- Reports to: Operations Director.
- Accounts Payable: Enter and code incoming bills and overhead costs. Write checks and make electronic payments. Enter credit card and cash expenses. Maintain detailed records of all payments and ensure timely and accurate payment of all bills.
- Accounts Receivable: Process cash, check, and credit card contributions. Maintain detailed records and make bank deposits. Work with Development staff to follow up on open invoices in order to maintain low receivable balances.
- Records and reports: Maintain all accounting files and archives. Prepare timely and accurate monthly financial reports for senior staff and board of directors. Collaborate with Development and Membership staff to ensure accuracy and consistency between Quickbooks and the Salesforce database. Maintain Chart of Accounts.
- Month-end and year-end functions: Reconcile all bank accounts and run monthly and annual close-out reports. Make all necessary journal entries.
- Annual reporting: Lead annual budgeting process (for an approximately $1.6M organization), soliciting input from all departments and review of the Board of Directors' Finance Committee. Lead annual tax preparation with Operations Director; conduct staff and Board review and work closely with accountant to ensure accuracy. Document internal procedures and maintain an accurate Financial Policies and Procedures Manual. Compile data for Annual Report.
- Annual audit: Serve as primary point of contact for annual financial audit. Supply all documentation and work directly with auditors before, during, and after fieldwork. Communicate progress and outcomes to staff and board of directors. Spearhead any organizational procedural changes as dictated by audit; drive new processes through relevant departments within the organization.
- Contract administration: Work with Program and Membership staff to plan and execute a growing number of large government and private contracts. Maintain YTD financial reporting, process timely payments to subcontractors, and ensure compliance with contracts' financial and insurance requirements.
- Bay Area Bicycle Coalition administration: Per SFBC subcontract, act as BABC financial administrator alongside the Operations Director. Maintain bookkeeping records and Quickbooks system, document financial transactions, reconcile bank statements, manage accounts payable and accounts receivable, create financial reports for BABC's board of directors.
- Human resources: Orient new employees to the organization. Ensure that all policies, procedures and benefits are communicated to and understood by current and new employees.
- Human resources: Manage recurring payroll for full-time and part-time employees. Manage vacation balances, sick leave, and benefits for employees.
- Insurance: Communicate with insurance brokers for the SFBC's coverage needs as dictated by contracts, events, and general coverage.
- Cross-departmental support: Meet regularly with Program, Development, Communications, Membership and Valet staff to streamline processes, ensure accuracy and efficiency of systems, and facilitate contract compliance.
- Purchasing: Maintain office supplies, postage, and other general items as needed.
- Facilities: Interface with building management for the SFBC's facilities needs; maintain overall office functionality and appearance; spearhead all-staff cleanup days.
The ideal candidate for the SFBC's Operations Manager position will:
- Have a deep commitment to the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition mission.
- Have at least 5 years of experience in a office management, administrative, and/or bookkeeping environment.
- Be extremely well-organized. Maintain several projects of equal priority on varying timelines at once and sustain productivity under pressure.
- Be punctual, reliable, and accountable. Must be able to juggle multiple requests with good grace and prioritize tasks and requests to make best use of time.
- Have attention to accuracy and standardization in individual tasks while also having the ability to grasp the context of and implications for policy, membership, and fundraising goals of the organization.
- Have knowledge and understanding of generally accepted accounting principles.
- Have experience in non-profit accounting, including functional allocation of expenses. (Previous experience working for a nonprofit preferred.)
- Have 3+ years bookkeeping experience using QuickBooks or similar accounting software.
- Have excellent troubleshooting and problem solving capabilities. Be able to analyze financial information and communicate it effectively.
- Be computer-literate and have Internet savvy and the ability to pick up software systems quickly. Have extensive experience in using Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word, mail merge, Salesforce, Basecamp, Google Apps, and Macintosh and Windows computers.
- Have experience training end users on and documenting financial procedures. Be able to present financial concepts to a diverse pool of staff, interns, and volunteers.
- Be able to help a fast-paced, open, team-oriented office build better, scalable business practices.
- Have the ability to move from place to place; use a computer terminal and telephone; able to lift and carry up to 25 pounds short distances; can bend twist, reach and grasp.
Salary and Benefits: mid-$40Ks-$50Ks annual, depending upon experience. Full-time benefits include medical, vision, and dental insurance as well as bicycle commuter benefit.
How to Apply: Write a compelling cover letter and resume, and submit using the form below. Be sure to mention where you saw the job advertised. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. People of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation.