Want to hone your biking skills or practice pedaling with your kids before riding on the streets? There are a lot of great car-free spaces to bike in San Francisco. Here is a list of a few of our favorites:
1. Sunday Streets: There’s no better place to bike and play in the city than at Sunday Streets. The open streets event runs from March through October, opening up terrific car-free spaces across the city. The SF Bicycle Coalition helped launch Sunday Streets and we continue to teach young kids to learn to bike at our Freedom From Training Wheels. See the upcoming Sunday Streets events here.
2. Golden Gate Park: JFK Drive in Golden Gate Park is car-free every Sunday, so pedal on over to enjoy the open streets. In the spring and summer (April-September), JFK Drive between Tea Garden and Transverse Drives is also car-free for “Healthy Saturdays,” an ongoing event that the SF Bicycle Coalition launched in 2007.
3. Embarcadero Promenade: The Embarcadero Promenade consists of a shared bike/ped path, and is a great place to take a relaxing car-free bike ride. Take your bike on BART and get off on the Embarcadero stop, then pedal your way along the beautiful waterfront. The SF Bicycle Coalition is working with City and community groups to create an even more bike-friendly Embarcadero, with a continuous and comfortable protected bikeway from AT&T Park to Fisherman’s Wharf.
4. Marina Green: Tourists and locals alike flock to the Marina Green for fun recreational time. Though Marina Boulevard is busy, there is a nice shared bike/ped pathway running all the way from Fort Mason to the Golden Gate Bridge. This few mile stretch is one of the most beautiful bike rides in the city. Note: there are some parts where cars are allowed; we’re working to make the full Marina Bay Trail an even more inviting place for people to run, bike and enjoy.
5. Lake Merced: Looking for more of a local’s spot? Try Lake Merced! The 4.5 mile loop around the lake is a perfect pedaling distance, and a great car-free spot to practice. If you have the time, try a few laps and get your heart and legs really pumping!
- Become a member of the SF Bicycle Coalition and help us connect the city with protected bikeways, so you can pedal comfortably all across our city.
- To gain confidence riding in the city, take one of our free urban bicycling classes.
- For more info on biking with your children, see our extensive family biking resources, including our free Family Biking Guide.