Bike to Work Day Advocacy
Coordinate VIPs, Advocate for Better Biking
The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an effective, member-supported non-profit organization working to promote bicycling for everyday transportation. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition's work during the past decade has helped to double the number of people biking in San Francisco. We are working to connect the city with a complete system of crosstown bikeways designed so that anyone, from an 8-year old child to an 80-year old grandmother, can feel safe and comfortable crossing the city on a bicycle.
We are hiring for a Bike to Work Day Advocacy Intern.
Bike to Work Day is the biggest annual biking event in San Francisco. The Bike to Work Day Advocacy Intern will work with the Program Team to help ensure that Bike to Work Day (May 8th) is a successful event, with high participation rates of City leaders, including elected officials. As part of the Program team, the candidate will help help shape the advocacy portions of the media event and other communications and coordinate VIP participation. The candidate will gain significant project-management experience, as well as knowledge of how to coordinate and hold a large-scale press event and work closely with City leaders and staff across San Francisco.
The Bike to Work Day Advocacy Intern will work with the Community Organizers to coordinate VIP participation, advocacy communications, and help shape the city's largest celebration of bicycling on May 8th.
This internship offers a flexible schedule with a 16 hour-a-week commitment, leading up to the May 8th event. The position includes a stipend of $500, and we are happy to work with any academic requirements the intern may have to help them earn course credit for their efforts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Specific experience working with one of the most cutting edge transportation advocacy groups in the country
- Opportunity to build your portfolio by helping create a city-wide event
- Academic credit, by working with your academic institution's internship program
- Insight into the workings of City leaders
- Assist in management of our Salesforce database
- Track record of working well on team projects
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Possess strong organizational/multi-tasking skills, attention to detail and have an ability to meet deadlines on time
- Be a strong researcher and editor; familiar with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and the Internet
- Cheerful, friendly, upbeat outlook
- Commitment to see the project through until Bike to Work Day on May 8th (opportunity for further growth and projects dependent upon candidate's skill set and interests)
- Familiarity with biking in San Francisco
- Knowledge of SF politics
- Commitment to building a sustainable San Francisco
To apply, please send an email to Chema Hernández Gil at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your resume, one writing samples, and a cover letter explaining why you would be a good fit for this position.
Women and people of color strongly encouraged to apply. You need not be an San Francisco Bicycle Coalition member to apply.