Bikes and Business Advocacy Intern
The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to promote bicycling for everyday transportation. Our 12,000-member grassroots organization is considered one of the largest, most active and effective advocacy groups in the country. For more than 40 years, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition has a proven track record of winning better bicycling improvements. In the last five years, our advocacy has helped increase the number of people biking in San Francisco by 71% and help San Francisco become a leading bicycling city. We are working to Connect the City with a complete system of crosstown bikeways designed so that anyone, from an 8-year old child to an 80-year old grandmother will feel safe and comfortable crossing the city on a bicycle.
The Bike and Business Advocacy Intern will gain firsthand experience and non-profit advocacy work while helping to advance the cause of better bicycling and shopping locally in San Francisco. The internship will include outreach and promotion of bicycling to local businesses, merchant associations, and neighborhood groups.
Roles and Responsibilities (will vary)
- Grassroots outreach to business owners, neighborhood groups, people who bike and others.
- Share the benefits of bicycling and bicycle parking to merchants and neighbors.
- Promote the conversion of auto parking spaces to "Bike Corrals" to businesses and neighbors.
- Promote and share positive stories of our work and how bicycling benefits local businesses through traditional and social media channels.
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Be passionate about making San Francisco a better city for biking and living
- Be interested in the intersection of nonprofit work and business partnerships
- Be self-motivated
- Be able to transport themselves to various areas of the city
- Enjoys engaging people in constructive dialogue on local business and bicycling
- Ability to walk at least 3 miles and provide independent transportation (by bicycle or transit) throughout San Francisco
This unpaid internship offers a flexible schedule with a ten-hour-a-week and 3 month minimum commitment. While the position is not paid, we are happy to work with any academic requirements the intern may have to help them earn course credit for their efforts.
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org