Great Streets Campaign Director
The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition (SFBC) is seeking a highly motivated and talented individual to serve in a new position of Director of the San Francisco Great Streets Campaign (GSC). This is an exciting, new collaboration being launched by the SFBC and partner organizations to promote safer, more livable streets and public places.
The GSC Director will lead campaigns to realize innovative transformations to the public realm at key locations throughout San Francisco. The Director will organize and galvanize the support of local businesses and community groups for people-oriented redesigns of streets and public spaces and identify other locations ripe for change. The Director will collaborate with community leaders and neighborhood groups to advocate for and win great walking spaces, safe bike space, and less motor vehicle traffic. The Director will work with city agency representatives and community leaders to elevate people-oriented principles to the forefront of San Francisco city planning and implementation.
Applicants should be familiar with people-oriented urban design principles, progressive transportation planning and policy, local politics, and political organizing and have a clear vision for livable urban spaces.
- Conversant with best practices in public realm planning and people-oriented urban design
- Strong familiarity with sustainable transportation policy and practice
- Community and/or political organizing experience
- Media outreach experience
- Strong interpersonal and public presentation skills and the ability to represent the GSC to the media, elected officials, government agency staff, community leaders and the public
- Solid written communication skills
- Ability to plan, manage and execute community events and forums
- Highly self-motivated, detail-oriented and organized
- Ability to work closely in a team and effectively collaborate with outside agencies and organizations
- Highly computer literate with interest and/or experience in web-based organizing
- Fundraising skills are a plus
- Spanish or Chinese language skills are a plus
This is a one-year contract position with potential for extension beyond the contract date. Hours may be flexible. Position will entail some work on weeknights and weekends, in order to attend community meetings and events.
The Director reports to the SFBC's Executive Director and works closely with the coalition partners of the Great Streets Campaign. Pay is commensurate with experience.
Interested applicants should submit resume and letter of interest to Leah Shahum, SFBC Executive Director, as soon as possible via email to email@example.com, including the email subject line: Great Streets Campaign Director.