Walk and Bike to Worship Week
Saturday, May 27 - Sunday, June 4
The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition, Walk San Francisco, San Francisco Interfaith Council and leaders from local congregations are partnering to create Walk & Bike to Worship Week from Saturday, May 27 to Sunday, June 4.
Throughout the week various congregations will celebrate walking, biking and taking transit to their place of worship. Congregations may sign up and choose which day they wish to participate and promote to members of their organization. We invite and encourage all places of worship to participate. When you sign up you will receive a free Walk & Bike to Worship toolkit to help with your event.
Walk & Bike to Worship is an event that gives your congregation and community members the opportunity to raise the visibility of walking, biking, and/or taking transit to worship to make communities safer and more pleasant places to live. Additionally, it’s a collective celebration that promotes physical activity, health, and safety for neighbors and the environment.
Get your congregation involved! Click here for the sign up form.
Walk & Bike to Worship: 3rd Annual Interfaith Bike Ride
This year’s ride begins at the Peace Pagoda in Japantown and includes stops at four congregations located on the western side of San Francisco (SF Buddhist Church, First AME Zion, Temple Emanu-El and Holy Virgin Cathedral). The ride will conclude in Golden Gate Park. Some stops will include a brief visit to the sanctuary spaces. Come learn about some of San Francisco’s historic faith communities. This ride is open to all ages but may include some hills and busy streets. Limited to 20 riders – RSVP below. Ride route here.
Walk & Bike to Worship 2017 Participants
- Congregation Bnai Emunah (3595 Taraval St)
- Congregation Beth Sholom (301 14th Ave)
- Cornerstone Church (3459 17th St)
- First Mennonite Church San Francisco (290 Dolores St)
- First Unitarian Universalist Church of San Francisco (1187 Franklin St)
- First Unitarian Church of San José (160 North Third St, San Jose)
- Grace Cathedral (1100 California Street)
- Hartford Street Zen Center (57 Hartford St)
- Ignatian Spiritual Life Center of St. Agnes Church (1025 Masonic Ave)
- St. Gregory of Nyssa Episcopal Church (500 De Haro St)
- St. Ignatius (1025 Masonic Ave)
- St. John of God Catholic Church (1290 5th Ave)
- St. Teresa of Avila Catholic Church (1490 19th St)
- San Francisco Zen Center (300 Page St)
- Seventh Avenue Presbyterian Church (1329 Seventh Ave)
- San Francisco Lighthouse Church (1337 Sutter St)
- Saint Agnes Church (1025 Masonic Ave)
- St. Aidan’s Episcopal Church (101 Gold Mine Dr)
- St. Cyprian’s Church (2097 Turk St)
- St. Francis Lutheran Church (152 Church St)
- St. James Episcopal Church (4620 California St)
- St. John’s Presbyterian Church (25 Lake St)
- Temple Baptist Church (3355 19th Ave)
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Sunset ward (1601 22nd Ave)
- The Episcopal Church of St. Mary the Virgin (2325 Union St)
- Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Redwood City (2124 Brewster Ave, Redwood City)
Walk & Bike to Worship Resources
- Event Contacts: Susan Gallentine, firstname.lastname@example.org, and Natalie Burdick, email@example.com
- Bike to Worship 2016 Photos
- Bike to Worship Organizer Toolkit (PDF)
- Bike to Worship Drawing Poster
- Date Specific Posters to Hang in your Congregation:
Our Calendar Policy
*Events not officially sponsored or organized by the SF Bicycle Coalition are marked with an asterisk. We post events that might be of interest to our SF area members; we do not necessarily endorse any particular group or perspective you may find represented here.