The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to promote bicycling for everyday transportation. Our member-based grassroots organization is considered one of the largest, most active and effective advocacy groups in the country. For more than 40 years, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition has a proven track record of winning better bicycling improvements.
The Events Intern will gain valuable experience working for a leader in non-profit bicycle advocacy and will help advance the cause of better bicycling in San Francisco. The Events Intern will focus on one main event: Winterfest (December 3, 2017).
What you’ll learn:
The Events Intern will gain valuable skills for anyone looking for a career in events. You will learn firsthand what it takes to organize large events. We will challenge you with a fast-paced, quick-turnaround experience on a hard-working team.
Responsibilities and duties include (but are not limited to):
- Assist with marketing of Winterfest
- Assist with planning Winterfest
- Outreach to local businesses to secure in-kind donations for Winterfest silent auction
- Outreach to local artists to secure donated artwork for Winterfest art show
- Coordinating delivery and pick-ups of supplies, donations and equipment
- Administrative support
Desired skills or abilities:
- Be highly organized, have excellent attention to detail, and able to meet deadlines
- Have some events, logistics or production experience
- Interest in bicycle advocacy
- Interest in event planning/event management
- Be a creative and motivated self-starter
- Cheerful, friendly, upbeat outlook
- Professional, responsible demeanor
- Be able to ride a bicycle, haul a bicycle trailer, and lift at least 25lbs
- Be computer-literate and Internet savvy, with direct experience in using MS Office (Excel, Word), Google apps (Docs, Calendar, Gmail).
Required dates for this internship include:
- August or September start date (negotiable)
- Friday, December 1
- Saturday, December 2
- Sunday, December 3 – Winterfest (all day)
- End date – December 15
- One year’s free membership to the SF Bicycle Coalition
- Firsthand experience in one of the country’s oldest and largest bicycle advocacy organizations
- A behind-the-scenes view of a bustling nonprofit organization
- Ongoing professional development opportunities, including:
- Networking with SF Bicycle Coalition staff and professionals in a variety of fields, including but not limited to urban planning, transportation and nonprofits
- Training on and experience with nonprofit industry standard software (Salesforce, Basecamp, etc.)
- Presentations and trainings aimed at development of professional workforce skills
- Indoor bike parking provided
This unpaid internship offers a flexible schedule with a 10-12 hour/week minimum commitment. This is chiefly a Monday through Friday internship, with occasional evenings and weekends. Interns are expected to make a minimum three-month commitment, which may be extended. While the position is not paid, we are happy to work with any academic requirements the intern may have to help them earn course credit for their efforts.
Write a compelling cover letter and resume, and submit using the form. Be sure to mention where you saw the internship advertised. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. People of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation.