The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to promote bicycling for everyday transportation. Our member-based grassroots organization is considered one of the largest, most active and effective advocacy groups in the country. For 45 years, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition has had a proven track record of winning better bicycling improvements through engaging the public in our work.
The Graphic Design Communications Intern will gain experience in visual communications at one of the most effective advocacy organizations in San Francisco, and one of the largest and most effective city-based bicycle advocacy organizations in the United States. This internship will focus on how we grow and maintain a strong and positive presence online, in print and in the media in order to further our mission of promoting the bicycle for everyday transportation. The Graphic Design Intern will provide direct support to the Communications Director and staff Graphic Designer.
What you’ll learn:
- Introductory online organizing;
- Introductory messaging;
- Creative thinking within the bounds of a strong brand; and
- How to work and communicate about design with people of varying expertise and purposes.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Creating graphics in support of SF Bicycle Coalition campaigns and events;
- Designing graphics for print, (e.g., fliers, our quarterly Tube Times, direct mail, etc.); and
- Designing graphics for web, (e.g., infographics, email headers, etc.).
Secondary Roles and Responsibilities:
- Updating the SF Bicycle Coalition’s website to accurately reflect the latest information, developments and campaigns;
- Photography assignments available for the right intern; and
- Assist with digital asset management, such as tagging photos, creating facebook albums, selecting photos for Instagram use or resizing images.
Required skills or abilities:
- Fluency with the Adobe Creative Suite is required for this position;
- Ability to multi-task and triage in a busy work environment;
- Acute attention to detail;
- Inclination towards collaboration;
- Clear interpersonal communication; and
- Dedication to efficiency and timeliness.
Desired skills or abilities:
- Strong, concise writing;
- Photography experience; and
- Digital asset management.
Required dates for this internship include:
- Intern Orientation Day, Date TBD
- One year’s free membership to the SF Bicycle Coalition;
- Firsthand experience in one of the country’s oldest and largest bicycle advocacy organizations;
- A behind-the-scenes view of a bustling nonprofit organization;
- Ongoing professional development opportunities, including:
- Networking with SF Bicycle Coalition staff and professionals in a variety of fields, including but not limited to urban planning, transportation and nonprofits;
- Training on and experience with nonprofit industry-standard software (Salesforce, Google Drive, etc.); and
- Presentations and trainings aimed at the development of professional workforce skills; and
- Indoor bike parking provided.
This unpaid internship offers a flexible schedule with a 15-25 hours/week minimum commitment. This is chiefly a Monday through Friday internship, with occasional, infrequent evenings and weekends. Interns are expected to make at least a three-month commitment, which may be extended. While the position is not paid, we are happy to work with any academic requirements the intern may have to help them earn course credit for their efforts.
Write a compelling cover letter and resume including a link to the candidate’s design portfolio, and submit them as PDFs using the form. Be sure to mention where you saw the internship advertised. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer.