The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is seeking two Bike the Vote interns. This position will support our “Bike the Vote” campaign to engage members and the broader community in our political endorsements through outreach events.
Hours: 10-12 hours/week. Hours will require evenings and weekends for outreach events.
Reports to: Advocacy Director.
About the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to promote bicycling for everyday transportation. Our member-based grassroots organization is considered one of the largest, most active and effective advocacy groups in the country. For 45 years, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition has a proven track record of winning better bicycling improvements.
The Bike the Vote Intern will support our Advocacy Team through this year’s exciting endorsements process as we approach the Nov. 8 elections. This is a great opportunity for people looking to learn more about San Francisco politics and the grassroots outreach it takes to win a political campaign. This internship predominantly involves leading and attending streetside outreach to support our “Bike the Vote” campaign.
Responsibilities may include, but will not be limited to:
- Attend and lead streetside outreach at a variety of events;
- Work with our volunteers who sign up to participate at phone banks, service stations and other outreach events;
- Enter data into our database gathered from the outreach events;
- Engage members in Bike the Vote through email and phone communications; and
- Work alongside our Campaign Coordinator to plan and execute outreach, draft talking points, and conduct both member engagement and volunteer trainings related to Bike the Vote.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Strong communication skills, particularly in phone or face-to-face situations, and fluency in English;
- Experience in public and professional settings;
- Experience working with people from diverse backgrounds;
- Ability to work on tasks independently, set personal and professional goals, and manage time productively;
- Ability to get around the city as needed for outreach events and meetings; and
- Passion for making San Francisco a better city for living and biking.
Desired Skills and Abilities:
- An interest in San Francisco politics and political processes;
- Ability to speak either Cantonese or Spanish with conversational fluency;
- Experience riding a bike with an attached trailer; and
- Experience with databases or CRM systems (experience in Salesforce a plus)
Required availability for this internship include:
- Start date on Sep. 1, 2016 or sooner;
- End date on Nov. 11, 2016;
- Flexible schedule especially evenings and weekends;
- Approximately 10-12 hours/week and 2-3 outreach events/week.
$500 stipend at the completion of the internship.
How to Apply
Write a compelling cover letter and resume, and submit them by clicking “Apply for Position” below. Be sure to mention where you saw the opening advertised. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation. People of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply via mail, please enclose your resume and cover letter in a sealed envelope and mail to:
San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
1720 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
You are also welcome to drop the envelope off in-person.
Applications will be reviewed starting on August 8, 2016 and considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.